Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: -6 and mass_dns and dns.lua

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 19:05:52 -0600

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 01:45:17AM +0000, jah wrote:
On 30/10/2008 22:44, David Fifield wrote:
I think I understand now. We can factor out the code that gets a list of
servers, but we should return an empty list if --system-dns is used.

Does the attached patch work for you? I've tested that continues to use
system DNS for IPv6 lookups, and that get_dns_servers returns a list of
servers even with -6 except when --system-dns is also present. I haven't
tested it with ASN.nse.

The patch builds on a few refactoring commits I made that didn't change
any outward behavior. The main change is moving the decision of whether
to run mass_dns from NmapOps.cc to nmap_dns.cc. As you noted, having -6
control o.mass_dns created a tricky bit of ambiguity.

It only works for -6 when -n is specified because if we've already done
an rdns lookup and we don't have a list of dns servers when
get_dns_servers() is called at script scanning time then this test fails:
    if(servs.size() == 0 && firstrun) {...}

Also, some debugging output is incorrectly selected when -6 scans do
rdns lookups and it prints out info meant for mass_dns resolving rather
than system resolving:

Thanks for the testing and the good analysis. Can you give this new
patch a try? It uses the idea from your patch, but I put the static
variable inside init_servs rather than get_dns_servers, so that it is
initialized only once between nmap_mass_rdns_core and get_dns_servers.

David Fifield