Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Should nmap.set_port_version support name_confidence?

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 23:03:27 -0500

On 10/24/2008 07:54 PM, Brandon Enright wrote:
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 18:47:13 -0600
David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:
However, the setting of confidence and fingerprint appears to have no
effect. l_set_port_version in nse_nmaplib.cc doesn't read either of
these fields. (It has old code to read fingerprint, but it's commented
out.) Later in the function Port::setServiceProbeResults is called
with a fingerprint of NULL, which is the same as if the fingerprint
field had been nil, so that line has no effect.

The line setting confidence doesn't work, for one thing, because Nmap
calls that field name_confidence.
http://nmap.org/book/nse-api.html#scripting-tbl-port-version-values
But l_set_port_version doesn't look at name_confidence either.

Should it? Is its omission just an oversight? Does anything weird
happen if a service is hardmatched with a confidence of 0 (in XML
output or something)?

David Fifield

Hmm, I don't even remember where I found the port.version.confidence
and port.version.fingerprint options.  I probably looked at another
script or some of our original NSE docs.

...fingerprint = nil should probably be deleted and the field always
set to NULL like you describe.  I rarely look at the confidence in XML
but since we have it, scripts should be able to set it.

I think that if it's not too much trouble, support for setting both the
fingerprint and confidence should be there, even though I too rarely pay much
attention to confidence.

And as Brandon mentioned for the confidence, I think that if some bit of
information is made available then a script should (within reason) be able to
set it.  Who knows what in-depth scripts could be written a couple of years
from now which can utilize things like the fingerprint.

Brandon

Thanks,
Kris Katterjohn