Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Offering some NSE help :)

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 11:17:50 -0600

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 03:12:00PM -0700, stripes wrote:
I'd like to get involved with NSE and help write scripts :)

I have a background writing NASLs and Snort signatures, although it's
been a while. I'm currently working on picking up Perl, so I'm looking
at expanding my security-specific knowledge.

If someone can point me to some places you guys need some work, I'd
love to help (provided you don't mind the dumb questions as I'm
learning).

Hi Anne,

There's a tiny little task you could help with. The dayTime.nse script
has a portrule that makes it run when port 13 is "open" or "open|filtered".
Then it tries to read data from that port.

If it's successful, it force change the state of the port to "open"
using the nmap.set_port_state function:

http://nmap.org/nsedoc/modules/nmap.html#nmap.set_port_state

Can you write and submit a patch that does that?

David Fifield