Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Hosts with known OSes needed for OS detection improvement

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 18:20:31 -0700

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 07:06:57PM -0600, David Fifield wrote:

All you need to do is send me a list of hosts whose OS is known to you
and that I can have permission to scan. Brandon Enright already sent me
a few hosts, which I used for the nmap-os tests. I'm looking for up to
five hosts per person, along with their winver/uname/version
information, which you can send to me in the form

I just want to second this request, as it is indeed extremely useful
for our testing.  We want to be sure that we have a sufficient sample
size before we go making major changes such as removing
seemingly-unreliable tests!  While we could probably get hundreds of
hosts from folks like Brandon who run huge networks, we'd prefer to
get a small number from many people.  That ensure that a much more
diverse set of routers and other devices along the network paths are
represented.  So if you have five Internet-connected machines as part
of your home network or work or whatever, and you know exactly what is
running on them, please send those IPs and descriptions to David.
Even if you just have one IP, such as for a shell account or web
server you run, please send it along.

Cheers,
-F