Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSE Online Documentation - observations

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 17:39:31 -0600

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 12:00:03AM +0100, jah wrote:
I notice that \n isn't handled inside doc comments for tables:
http://nmap.org/nsedoc/files/scripts/whois.html#data

Hm, there are some fields that are not passed through the HTML
escaper/hyperlinker/line breaker. I've been escaping things as I ran
into problems. I fixed this one on your suggestion.

An html anchor for the http scheme is created for email addresses
enclosed in <> in script author fields.  These could be made into
anchors for the mailto: scheme - or just not anchorified.

The attched is for whois.nse and reverts some comments [1] that are
using &lt; and &gt; which prevented the stuff inside them being hidden
in the source [2].  I've a suspicion that these will be turned into html
anchors too...

Thanks, I applied that patch. I also learned today about the @field tag,
which I modified the table documentation comments to use. It looks a
little better than just breaking lines.

They won't become hyperlinks because the linker is looking for ".com",
not angle brackets. That's why is was catching the email addresses.

All of the nselibs that appear under Libraries in the left navigation
block are duplicated under Files which also contains C modules and scripts.
I reckon it would be nicer to have an additional heading for the C
modules, one for Scripts and then lose the Files section of the
navigation block.  The path and file extensions could then be removed
from these navigation links which would be easier to read.
The Categories header might be renamed to "Script Categories" too.

I agree with all this, except that I don't see a reason to separate C
modules and Lua modules.

David Fifield