Nmap Development mailing list archives

Layer-2 Topology Mapping?

From: "McCash John-GKJN37" <john.mccash () motorola com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 08:30:45 -0400

Hi Everyone,
    Please reply directly back to me as well as to the list.

    I recently listened to the interview with Fyodor that ran on the
PaulDotCom Security Weekly Podcast. When I heard about the new layer-3
mapping functionality that's now folded into Zenmap, I got really
excited.

    Has anybody considered a new feature, or possibly some sort of
scripted add-on, to allow Nmap/Zenmap to do layer-2 topology mapping? If
it was to incorporate some data pulled via SNMP from router ARP tables
and switch CAM tables, it ought to be able to interpolate a lot of the
layer-2 information. Does anybody think that would be cool enough to
work on?

        Thanks
            John McCash