Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [RFC] Now Redoing Ncat's Output Options

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 12:30:17 -0500

On 10/11/2008 02:24 AM, Dirk Loss wrote:
doug () hcsw org wrote:
  > On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 12:22:22AM -0500 or thereabouts, Kris
Katterjohn wrote:
But this email isn't about removing these options, just renaming them.  Unless
there are any compelling reasons to remove them, in which case feel free to
mention them.
cat -v [1].

I vote remove 'em. Unix already has a way to print hex output:

That's a good point. Maybe we should not focus on output _formats_, but
more on output _contents_, i.e. include some of Ncats internal
information that would be lost in a plain binary ouput. Such as
direction of the communication (who said what), timestamps, or other
meta information. Just as the metadata in Nmap's XML.

Another aspect: As Ncat is supposed to work on Windows boxes as well,
where some typical Unix text-utils aren't available, it might make sense
to include at least some common formatting options in Ncat.

Indeed, Doug does brings up an excellent point (and link).  However, as you
mention, we have to support Windows as much as possible, so providing some
sort of output option seems necessary at the moment (but do correct me if I'm
wrong anybody).

Of course, we could go the way of traditional Netcat and change -o to provide
a hex dump and not worry with any other output.  Since cmd.exe apparently
supports pipes and redirection[1][2], there is probably a program or option
equivalent to tee on Windows to provide something like the current -o.

And if there is a somewhat-standard Windows program for providing a hex dump,
in the fashion that Doug showed, dropping them both seems viable.

Thoughts?

Regards
Dirk

Thanks,