Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Path to nmap.xsl for win32

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 14:31:00 -0600

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 08:58:02PM +0100, jah wrote:
On 24/09/2008 20:22, David Fifield wrote:
Does anybody know, is it more correct to put "file://" in front of the
XSL stylesheet location when it points to a local file (as it does in
the default case)?
I don't know if it's more correct, but I notice that the nmap xml output
can be viewed in firefox if file:// is used.

On Windows you mean? Opening Nmap XML in Firefox works for me on
GNU/Linux.

Usually, I'll open these files in Internet Explorer or a proper xml
viewer because they don't display in firefox - maybe the lack of
file:// is the reason?

I wouldn't be surprised. I think a string like

C:\Program Files\Nmap\nmap.xsl

is not a URI. If changing it to

file://C:\Program Files\Nmap\nmap.xsl

makes it work in Firefox on Windows, I say we should do it. I have a
feeling that it should even be

file://C:/Program Files/Nmap/nmap.xsl

but I won't commit to that until I read some documentation that says
that's right.

Can you (or somebody) write a patch to add the file:// prefix? If not,
I'll see if I can find some time to do it. There's some documentation at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_URI_scheme. The change should not
affect the --stylesheet or --webxml options, only the default local
filesystem stylesheet location.

David Fifield