Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Ncat is now available through Nmap trunk

From: Sven Klemm <sven () c3d2 de>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 16:16:30 +0200

Hey Kris,

| I've added Ncat to the Nmap trunk, so now it should build
automatically and
| install along with Nmap.  This means you build it from in /nmap now
instead of
| /ncat.  In Unix you can use "configure --without-ncat" to keep it from
| building and installing.

cool :)

| Ncat has been added as an SVN external like Nbase, Nsock and Zenmap, and
| should be added when you do an "svn up", or do a fresh check-out.
|
| NOTE: You'll need to run configure again after checking the latest
code out in
| order to build/install Ncat.  It's probably also a good idea to at
least do a
| "make clean" before building as well.  Doing a "make distclean" and
running
| configure then should give you a completely fresh slate.
|
| The build process should go just like normal in Unix or Windows,
with the
| additional few seconds to compile Ncat.  I've tested it on Ubuntu
Hardy and
| Windows XP.
|
| Ncat will now also be available in future releases through the Nmap
source
| tarball, RPM, OS X installer (thanks to David) and the Windows
installer.

| Please let me know if you have any problems (or general comments of
course).

I am getting a build error when running make:

gcc -o ncat -g -O2  ncat_main.o ncat_connect.o ncat_core.o
ncat_listen.o ncat_proxy.o ncat_broker.o ncat_hostmatch.o ncat_ssl.o
util.o sys_wrap.o ../nsock/src/libnsock.a ../nbase/libnbase.a -lssl
- -lcrypto -lpcap
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpcap
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [ncat] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sven/code/nmap-trunk/ncat'
make: *** [ncat_build] Error 2
[2]

Adding -L../libpcap to the command fixes the build problem.

Cheers,
Sven

- --
Sven Klemm