Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap presentation videos posted

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 16:18:39 -0700

Hi folks!  I've been waiting to post my Black Hat/Defcon presentation
videos until the Nmap 4.75 release, because that version has most of
the great new features I talked about (port frequency data, Zenmap
topology and aggregation, etc.)  So now that 4.75 is out, I've posted
the audio, video (slides are still there too):

http://insecure.org/presentations/BHDC08/

And while I was at it, I finally posted the audio and video for my
2006 ShmooCon presentation on advanced network reconnaissance since
the techniques demonstrated are still quie relevant:

http://insecure.org/presentations/Shmoo06/

I've also added a new presentations page, with links to more than a
dozen of my presentations (though most just have relatively useless
slides, not video):

http://insecure.org/presentations/

I hope you enjoy them!  I'm also hoping there are a couple video gurus
on nmap-dev (or at least folks with decent editing software) who can
help with a couple things:

1) The 1200x600 Defcon16 video download is 187 MB.  Ouch!  I'm hoping
someone can cut it down to 600x300, which is the size of the flash
version.  I tried this command:

mencoder fyodor-nmap-dc16.mov -ovc lavc -oac lavc -ffourcc DX50 \
-lavcopts acodec=libmp3lame:abitrate=32 -vf scale=600:300 \
-o fyodor-nmap-dc16.avi"

That worked for the video, but the audio was not synced right when I
played it back in mplayer, and mplayer wouldn't let me skip around the
movie file without restarting the audio stream (meaning I couldn't
really skip at all).  If I use "-oac pcm" for non-compressed sound, it
works, but then the file is so huge that it defeats the whole point of
re-encoding at 600x300.  Maybe encoding the sound in mp2 would work,
but my mencoder doesn't want to do that.

You can find fyodor-nmap-dc16.mov on the BHDC08 video page linked
above.  If you're able to make a quality 600x300 version, please let
me know.  It does not need to be in a Quicktime .mov container, but it
needs to be a widely supported format.  And I'd kinda prefer not Flash.

2) On the ShmooCon page, the video (fyodor-nmap-shmoo06.mp4) is
basically blank for the first 28 seconds, and then it has another 24
seconds or so of useless titles, etc.  So each person who watches the
video loses a minute of their lives.  And plus thos 28-blank seconds
may make viewers give up and think the video is broken.  If someone
can rip out the first 52 seconds or so (every thing up until Crispin
starts talking), that would be great! I'll then fix the flash version.
As with the previous example, I tried to do this with mencoder (using
-ss) and ended up with a video which didn't play correctly.  Ideally
this could be done without the slight quality loss of re-encoding, but
I'll be happy as long as the size doesn't increase materially and the
quality doesn't decrease materially.

So if anyone has the software or skills to do these simple (but not
for me, apparently) video manipulations, that would be great!

Cheers,
-F