Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE + NSELib] Netbios and SMB [stable!]

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 15:59:41 -0500

Brandon Enright wrote:
Hi Ron.  I'm extremely excited about these scripts and libraries.  I've
been to busy recently to follow all of your posts religiously but these
scripts look great and I'm going to work on testing them soon.

Thanks, Brandon!

Again, I'm really glad to see all the great work you've put into
these.  Can you comment on how far we are away from a library like
Metasploit's Pex::DCERPC module?

For example, if we wanted to interact with the Server service via
4b324fc8-1670-01d3-1278-5a47bf6ee188 what would be involved.  Here is
Metasploit code:

http://www.milw0rm.com/exploits/2162

I haven't looked at any Nessus scripts for detecting SMB/RPC
vulnerabilities lately (in part because I hate Nasl) but I'm curious if
that's a direction you're heading in.
Yes, that's the direction I'm heading in. Right now, I'm avoiding
looking at others' source and implementing this from scratch (based on
specs + packet dumps), since I don't want to be influenced by how
somebody else does it, and also because I don't want to end up bound to
a specific license.

But yes, my ultimate goal is to be able to bind to a service and make
calls from it. The first thing I'm going to do is bind to the SAML
service and look up user lists, password policies, and that type of
thing. From there, I'd like to look at digging deeper, like looking for
vulnerabilities.

I agree that this ability would be nice.  Have you considered using
null sessions to enumerate basic information?  I know this would mostly
limit you to gathering information on Win2k but it would be a great
start and could probably be enhanced with real credentials later if the
user supplied them.
Yup, I plan to do that. I've already implemented code in C to log in
with credentials, and it'd actually be a fairly easy change. I already
enumerate some basic information withuot credentials, though, and I'll
definitely do more. I can't go any further than I am till I stop, go
back, and learn more, though. Except for credentials, I've reached the
limit of my knowledge. :)

Brandon

Ron