Nmap Development mailing list archives

nmap broke> Rob Nicholls

From: mike <dmciscobgp () hotmail com>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 11:52:58 +0000

Rob

Looks like installing those runtimes did the trick! i actually never knew you had to run those. i thought that was for
compiling with Visual Studios. Anyway, it is now up and running

I have a question/suggestion. As you are aware, certain services depend on having EXACT source ports echo the ports
they are trying to connect. For instance, i beleive IPSEC and RIP will not even look at you if you come from a
different source port other than what they are listening on. I beleive NETBIOS likes that behavoir also

Why not have a way to scan, and as you are running nmap, the source ports could match the destinations on the fly.
Could this be feasible? It sounds like a promising idea! At least you will have a better chance of getting a possible
response back you might not have otherwise, agreed? Not sure how hard it would be to code this in but it is worth a
shot for testing anyway

I appologize if this point is moot and nmap already does this. Quickly. i mentioned adding that "payload" option to
send your own data specifically with data-length instead of random bytes. Someone came up with a patch. Did this patch
ever get added to the newest nmap? If not, is the idea even still being considered???

Thanks/