Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: Malfunction with nmap

From: H Dixon <tai_mai_shu2002 () hotmail com>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 01:42:15 +0000

Thanks for your guys help so far. I have some more information for you guys to help me decipher.

quote: Michael: "Do you loose your connection after the other stealth scans(-sS, -sX, -sA)?"

A: yes, I still lose the connection.

Even though I have internet connection I can't ping any website e.g. www.google.com.  However, I can still connect to
the website via webbrowser. Also, I finally made my router cooperate and work. ( I was, for a bout a week directly
connected to the cable box without the router. So now instead of getting about 80% arp requests. I get about 30% 'tcp
checksum incorrect'. That's beside the point. I Surfed the web a bit and someone requested to start windows in safe
mode with net connection. And now i can ping! Which leads me to believe some form of software i have installed is not
letting me ping/use nmap. I tried using nmap (in safe mode) but i'm getting:

Initiating Ping scan at 21:38
dnet: Failed to open device eth0
QUITING!

Strange because I'm on the net right now. :\   I'll try using a system restore point but if you guys have any other
idea i'll most likely try it.

thanks!!!!!!
Heath