Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap Book: Weekend Adopt-A-Chapter program!

From: stripes <stripes () tigerlair com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 19:19:12 -0700

I'll take the Preface and Chapter 1.

-Anne

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 05:46:39PM -0700, Fyodor wrote:
I didn't really get around to announcing it yet, but I posted more
than half of the content of my upcoming Nmap book at
http://nmap.org/book/toc.html .  I hope you enjoy it!  And I plan to
release more free online chapters after the book is released.

As for the release, I'm hoping I can release the book at Defcon on
August 8!  The only problem is that is less than a month from now, and
printing + shipping books is kinda slow.  So I need to finish the book
text by Monday.

Sorry for so little notice, but I'm looking for help with a final
review of the book this weekend.  I can't just make quick & easy
changes to book contents once they are printed like I can with web
pages.  I'm trying to review it all myself, but I might not finish and
I may also miss things.  And the open source mantra is that many eyes
make all bugs shallow, after all!  Plus, weekends are a great time to
curl up with a nice book about port scanning!  So this is a call for
volunteers who want to do an in-depth review of a single chapter.  It
is too late to do major restructuring, so the goal is to find typos,
grammar problems, capitalization/spelling inconsistencies, and
especially content issues (errors, out-of-date content, and small
omissions).  Adding a few sentences or small paragraphs is OK.  For
example, I caught a problem yesterday where the book was referencing
the idle scan (-I) feature which no longer exists in Nmap.  So it
helps if the reviewers have excellent English skills and are familiar
with Nmap too.

You can choose from any of the 9 chapters plus the preface available
at:

http://nmap.org/book/toc.html

To claim a chapter, simply send an email to this list noting the
chapter you want to claim.  That way everyone knows which ones have
been claimed and can claim a different chapter for themselves.
Claiming an already-claimed chapter is OK, since more eyes never hurt.
But it is usually best to take an unclaimed one if there still is one
remaining.

Then just read the html chapter carefully and send a report to me or
to the list by 10AM Pacific Standard Time (5PM UTC) on Monday
detailing your suggested changes.  If you suggestions relate to adding
content, try drafting the sentences or paragraphs rather than just
making a vague recommendation.  Otherwise I don't always understand
what you are asking for.

There is still room in the acknowledgements section for people who
help by finding many bugs which are fixed or suggestion useful
improvements :).

It is important that the Monday deadline be met, because I hope to
freeze the book on Monday afternoon and then produce a cover based on
the number of pages in the frozen book.  So I may be able to make typo
fixes after that, but may not be able to make changes which affect the
page count.

If you get done with a report on one chapter early, feel free (and
encouraged) to claim another one.

So who wants to start by adopting a chapter?

Cheers,
-F

--
Teacher: Define Sarcasm in five   (\`--/') _ _______ .-r-.