Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] ASN made more robust and documented - much more to do.

From: jah <jah () zadkiel plus com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 22:02:44 +0100

On 03/09/2008 20:33, David Fifield wrote:
You said a newer version of this script queries origin.asn.cymru.com and
and peer.asn.cymru.com instead of using nmap.asn.cymru.com. Can you
explain more why that is? Team Cymru created the nmap domain in order to
track load. If there's something wrong with what nmap returns maybe we
can get them to change it.
The nmap zone returns multiples of two TXT answers and each pair of
answers are what would be returned by queries for the origin and peer
cymru zones.  I observed that the answers returned for a query for the
nmap zone weren't ordered making it difficult to consistently detect
which answer relates to the origin ASN and which to the peer ASN(s) in
certain cases (such as multiple origin answers and peer answers
containing a single ASN).

I was exploring the possibility of using the nmap zone and then, when it
is difficult to determine which is the answer containing the origin ASN,
sending a query for the origin zone to confirm.  I decided that doing
this was alot of work for such a simple script and decided not to use
the nmap zone.

Some possible ways that Team Cymru might help:

Separate zones for origin and peer such as nmap.origin.asn.cymru.com and
nmap.peer.asn.cymru.com.

Definite ordering of the answers - ideally, alternating zone answers so
that when a query returns multiple BGP prefixes we get answers grouped
by BGP.  We could however deal with answers grouped by zone.

Labelling of the answers so the answer itself announces whether it's an
origin or peer answer.

I was thinking that the best way to display the ASN information would be
to combine the information for a given BGP prefix and reduce the
redundancy of fields:

So instead of:
|  ASN: 4 records found.
|  Origin ASN: 10565 | BGP: 64.13.128.0/18 | Country: US
|  Origin ASN: 10565 | BGP: 64.13.128.0/21 | Country: US
|  Peer ASN: 3561 6461 | BGP: 64.13.128.0/21 | Country: US
|_ Peer ASN: 174 2914 6461 | BGP: 64.13.128.0/18 | Country: US

present this:
|  ASN: 4 records found.
|  BGP: 64.13.128.0/18 | Country: US | Origin ASN: 10565 | Peer ASN: 174
2914 6461
|_BGP: 64.13.128.0/21 | Country: US | Origin ASN: 10565 | Peer ASN: 3561
6461

which looks much better (especially in cases where there are a lot of
peer AS numbers).  It would be cool if a single query to
nmap.asn.cymru.com returned answers formatted like this!

I actually didn't post the version of asn.nse which isn't using the nmap
zone - I sent it only to you (which wasn't my intention - it was early
in the morning here) and is the version that uses the dns library.

Regards,

jah