Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE script] SSH weak hostkey

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 01:22:34 -0700

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 11:11:27AM +0200, Sven Klemm wrote:
Hi,

i've written a NSE script which checks the keys found by the SSH
hostkey script for weak keys (CVE-2008-0166). Currently it uses the
blacklists from the openssh-blacklist package but I am thinking about
replacing it with something else as the lists only contains the last
10 bytes of the 16 byte fingerprint. Those lists are nevertheless
quite big (8MB total) and I wonder what the policy for external data
files for nmap is. Should a script include necessary data files or can
it rely on other packages to supply them?

Hi Sven.  Sounds like a great script, but unfortunately 8MB is too
large to ship with Nmap by default.  Though people could download and
use it separately.  Or perhaps it could do an internet lookup of part
of the key.  Of course, we've already talked recently about the
problematic aspects of 3rd party DB lookups.  So it is a tough call.

Cheers,
-F