Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: In nmap is this possible?

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 01:53:14 -0700

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 02:48:11PM -0400, Michael Pattrick wrote:
On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 6:14 PM, ithilgore.ryu.L () gmail com
<ithilgore.ryu.l () gmail com> wrote:
I don't know if defining a new option this way, is the best course of action
(since i believe that NSE will probably support more flexible functionality
with payloads).

This is something that really should be done with NSE, the script form
is far simpler and easier to change/improve.

I have attached an example that scans for RIPv2, but I added several
comments so it can easily be modified for anything.

It can be used ass follows:
nmap --script=rip.nse -p520 -sU 10.0.0.1

Hi Michael.  This looks very interesting.  What do you thinking about
building a version detection probe and match lines for this?  I just
did a quick look and it doesn't appear that we have any RIP
signatures, probably because we lack a working probe.  See
http://nmap.org/book/vscan.html .

Cheers,
-F