Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Missing dll's on win2k install

From: "Rob Nicholls" <robert () everythingeverything co uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 18:12:59 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 7:45 AM, Chris Quayle <aero.sys () ntlworld com>
wrote:

Hi Michael,

Thanks, tried to install the microsoft rtl stuff, but that wouldn't
install
on this w2k box, even though the usoft description specifically says
that it
works with win2k sp4. Error message was:
Thats too bad, if the 2008 runtime isn't compatible with win2k then
future Nmap versions wont be ether. There goes the backwards
compatibility neighborhood. But I guess windows wants you to start
developing embedded things on vista.

I mentioned the steps I went through to install the runtimes on Windows
2000 Server a few days ago[1]. I started with Service Pack 4 so I could
install Windows Installer 3.1. Then I had to install
Windows2000-KB835732-x86-ENU.EXE (MS04-011) so I could finally install the
Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86).

The MS04-011 requirement for the Visual C++ 2008 runtime installer doesn't
appear to be well documented or is a bug/oversight, as Microsoft (as Chris
mentioned) only states "Windows 2000 Service Pack 4" as a requirement.
It's a four year old patch, so hopefully not many users will be affected.

The Visual C++ 2008 runtimes are compatible with Windows 2000; but you
need to make sure you've got the latest programs installed (i.e. OS
patches and Windows Installer 3 or higher - NB: WI3.0 came out almost 4
years ago). I hope to improve the installer when I have some spare time so
users are notified when the runtimes fail to install.

Rob

[1] http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2008/q3/0029.html