Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE patch]

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 19:26:19 -0500

Fyodor wrote:
On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 10:50:14PM -0500, Ron wrote:
Interesting.  One idea would be to have a name lookup script which
triggers if any of these ports are open (because the user might not
have done a UDP scan, but if 139 or 445 TCP are open, it is probably
worth sending the probe to 137/udp).  That script could have a
runlevel set so that it runs early, and saves the data in the NSE
registry in case any scripts need it.

Or your library approach suonds like a good one too.  Or the labor can
be divided between a library and a script.

Think that'd be something useful to write? I'm up for doing it if it's
going to be used.

Yes, I think it would be useful.

Cheers,
-F

So, I noticed that this is already done in nbstat.nse (the query for the
machine name on 137). I think I'll still look into doing a NetBIOS
library, though.

Ron