Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: umit

From: "sara fink" <sara.fink () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 20:48:25 +0300

I tried it. Very good. Thank you.

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 2:13 PM, Vladimir Mitrovic <snipe714 () gmail com>wrote:

Hi Sara,

sara fink wrote:

Is Umit capable to visualize the network like cheops or cheops-ng? I mean
which computers are connected to  others?

Zenmap is capable of visualizing network topology thanks to recent Summer
of Code activity. It is still not part of the official Zenmap package, but
if you have means of accessing our SVN repository, you can check out these
features while we are still wrapping them up for the final release.

Here's how you can try it:

svn co --username guest --password "" svn://
svn.insecure.org/nmap-exp/vladimir/zenmap-aggregation
cd zenmap-aggregation
./zenmap &

Once Zenmap is started, try running a traceroute scan on a couple of hosts
- for example 'nmap --traceroute scanme.nmap.org www.google.com
www.microsoft.com'. You can run many scans from the same window, the
results will "add up" (that's another fresh Zenmap feature). To visualize
the network, select the "Topology" tab. If you don't run a --traceroute
scan, the scanned host will be connected to localhost with a dashed line,
indicating there's no traceroute information.

I mostly use the 'nmap -p80 -PN --traceroute <hosts>' scan to grab a quick
network topology, and then run a more in-depth scan on nodes of interest.

You don't need to install Zenmap to try this out, but you do need to have
Nmap properly installed.

Cheers,
Vladimir