Nmap Development mailing list archives

How Can We Talk To Port 138?

From: mike <dmciscobgp () hotmail com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 12:52:02 +0000

Hello guys...
Last time i tried sending a message, someone told me it became mangled and unreadable. i am using a simple Windows
Live! mail session to fire this off so after it leaves my hands i don't know what to tell ya.

I have looked into nmap and various scanning utilities and i have yet to figure out just how to get a response from UDP
port 138 (Datagram Service) as far as a service response/fingerprint is concerned. I know a bit about it's inner
workings. i understand it is mainly for handling broadcast mailslots and election registration for servers involved.
How do we speak to it to get something back? I only bring this up because, i see so much emphasis on NETBIOS ports in
other scanners, but 138 seems to always be neglected. It doesn't seem to respond to standard SMB queries, nor does it
respond to name/adapter status requests. So what do we use protocol wise?

The only thing i can thing of is maybe it will only accept broadcast addresses as the source? Can someone look into
that maybe? I also think maybe a tool i read about that comes with one of the Windows network tools packages for
drilldowns/etc might also add to help in this discovery. I beleive they have a tool called Browsmon? or something that
can construct and fire off election requests/responses or something to that effect. Would this work if incorporated in
nmap?

Ok, so the idea and input is out there for you to mull over. if this message becomes unreadable to you in transit, i am
not sure what else to do. No word wrap options or anything from what i see in front of me so i guess you'll have to
make do (unless i can just use notepad and paste future emails?)

Thanks,
Mike