Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Multiple return values from action. Scripts without id.

From: "Patrick Donnelly" <batrick.donnelly () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 20:03:45 -0600

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 12:12 AM, Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org> wrote:
On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 06:43:41PM -0600, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 4:54 PM, jah <jah () zadkiel plus com> wrote:

The script has an id and there's nothing wrong with the filename
(matches the entry in scripts.db).   It seems that when action() returns
two results it somehow messes with the Lua stack (or something like
that) and process_getScriptId() in nse_main.cc results in script abortion.

Great work in tracking this down, Jah!  I'm glad that Patrick has
applied your patch to prevent showSMTPVersion from returning multiple
values.  But we should fix the underlying problem.  A script returning
multiple values should not silently cause mysterious corruption
elsewhere in NSE.  Anyone have ideas as to the best way to fix this?

This has been fixed.

Cheers,

--
-Patrick Donnelly

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing
to do and always a clever thing to say."

-Will Durant