Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: does nmap already do this?

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 01:46:02 -0500

Yes, your email looks a little out of synch.  Line wrap off perhaps?

Anyway, if you are asking what I think you are asking, nmap can't do that.

I think you are asking about scanning a remote system with nmap and
having nmap determine what the remote executable listening on the
remote port is.

You'd have to use a combination of nmap and something like psexec
(from Microsoft Sysinternals) and openports (from DiamondCS) to get
the executable.  Or even psexec and netstat.

Of course, this assumes you have the appropriate permissions to run
programs on the remote system and that the remote system is a
Windows-based system.  Also, this assumes your local system is Windows
since psexec and openports are Windows programs.

If the remote system has an SSH server running on it and uses
certificate authentication, you could use Nessus to perform some
remote local checks.

-Jason