Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Hard-coded xmloutputversion in nmap.dtd--remove it?

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 12:17:46 -0500

David Fifield wrote:
Hello,

Fyodor, Michael Pattrick, and I had a discussion about how to handle
changes to the Nmap DTD. There is a version number, xmloutputversion,
that is supposed to allow parsers to cope with different versions of
Nmap XML output.

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2007/q4/0368.html

Currently the xmloutputversion is hard-coded in nmap.dtd to be 1.02.
However that means if we ever change it, all the existing Nmap XML files
with xmloutputversion="1.02" will technically cease to be valid.

I am in favor of removing the hard-coded version number and replacing it
with an attribute whose value can be either arbitrary CDATA or one of a
list of alternatives (1.00|1.01| 1.02) that can be updated. I want to
check with everyone before I do that because in the past I have thought
I knew more about XML than I really did:

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2007/q4/0649.html

Finally, what does every use xmloutputversion for? I notice that the
parser in Zenmap never uses it. Is validity (in an XML sense) important
to your application? Zenmap's USR files are remarkably invalid yet they
get the point across. It could be that xmloutputversion isn't worth much
fuss.

I personally don't use it for anything and don't particularly care what format
the version number is available in either way.

I use XML output for mainly two things: saving it for future use since it's a
good format, and parsing with my Ruby Nmap::Parser.  The only thing my parser
uses the XML version information for is to pass to a user if they so desire,
it doesn't use it for any validation or checking.

So while my answer to this is pretty much "meh", I think that's a good enough
answer for an opinion on this matter since it means there's no fuss :)  Of
course this does mean I'll need to update my library again for another change...

David Fifield

Thanks,
Kris Katterjohn