Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: Using Samba code?

From: Aaron Leininger <rilian4 () hotmail com>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 17:26:42 -0700

So yeah, integrating code from other projects definitely requires
care.  The good news is that many of the licenses are compatible, and
that is how we are able to use libdnet, libpcre, libpcap, winpcap,
lua, OpenSSL, etc.

Cheers,
-F

Fyodor,
I've thought about your response for quite a while and while I am not sure, I think I understand what you are trying to
say. Again, correct me if I misunderstand...

Are you saying that by taking code from a random open source project(in this case SMB) of a different license to nmap,
that it might bind nmap's code to the terms of that project or to some terms in that project that you might find
objectionable? If so, I see why you would be concerned. I wouldn't think you'd want to jeopardize the license nmap is
under.  It's too bad that open source licenses can't get this whole thing together. It seems obvious to me that nmap
can benefit from this and it also seems obvious to me that the SMB project doesn't mind releasing their code...at least
under certain terms...which implies to some extent that they want others to benefit from their code. All this adds up
to both projects seemingly not against the idea of what has been proposed to be added to nmap...yet it seems that
legalese stands in the way.

Sad, if you ask me. Maybe someone should write to whomever runs the SMB project and ask for an exception/permission for
this. Is there anything to lose by doing so?
-Aaron