Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: zenmap

From: "Rob Nicholls" <robert () everythingeverything co uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 17:53:03 +0100 (BST)

Hi Andy,

The first screenshot shows that Nmap 4.11 is run by Zenmap, rather than
Nmap 4.76. IIRC only versions 4.2x and higher work properly on Vista,
hence the error message it displays. I would suggest searching your system
for instances of nmap.exe, and remove any old versions of Nmap that you
find.

The second screenshot's error message is normal if WinPcap's wpcap.dll is
present, and would suggest that it's correctly installed on your system. I
suspect once you remove the old copies of Nmap you'll discover that
WinPcap is properly installed. If you want to make sure WinPcap is
installed properly, you should be able to use the official WinPcap
installer (from http://www.winpcap.org/install/default.htm) to force an
install over any existing versions.

For reference, uninstalling Nmap doesn't uninstall WinPcap from the
system, which is why you would have seen the error message when you
re-installed Nmap. Look for "winpcap-nmap 4.02" in Vista's list of
programs that can be uninstalled if you want to remove Nmap's version of
WinPcap (IIRC, the official WinPcap installer provides a link to the
uninstaller in the Start Menu).

Rob

OS Vista 32bit SP1 with automatic updates
nmap-4.76-setup
forced install of WinPcap 4.0.2

Hi I'm hoping you can help me, up untill now my zenmap worked great then
the
other day I needed to report on a new device/service so ran the tool, now
just get (fig1) I tried reinstalling which didn't work so removed the app
and re-installed but now I get (fig2) and when running the tool get the
same
as (fig1) When I search my system I find no winpcap install.

Did a complete remove and re-install and still get (fig1)

I find this tool to be get benifit to me, if you can help I would be very
gratful
Regards
Andy