Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: autonomous system numbers NSE script

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 20:20:43 -0700

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 08:40:42PM -0400, Michael Pattrick wrote:
Hey everyone,

I wrote this script to find autonomous system numbers using the method
described here [1].

But there are two problems:
 - A query will return the same ASN if its in the same BGP netblock.
My script also discovers the BGP netblock, is there any way to cache
results in this case - ie check if the IP fits into a netblock that
we've already scanned?
 - The website states that the the best way is the DNS method, and
hosts making too many whois queries will be blocked, is there a way to
forge DNS query packets in NSE or would there need to be some kind of
DNS API? I tried making the raw packet in a lua script and ssending it
out but wireshark claimed that the packet was malformed :(

Hi Michael.  What is the status of this script?  It sounds like a good
idea, and also a good way to test our new mutex system and see how it
works for us:

http://nmap.org/book/nse-api.html#nse-mutex

Cheers,
-F