Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Pcap linking on VC2008?

From: "Kris Katterjohn" <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 23:18:22 +0530

Hey Mixter,

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 12:59 PM, mixter () gmail com <mixter () gmail com> wrote:
I'm compiling my ncat project with the same, up to date winpcap
folder as in nmap, also with the same DelayLoadDLL and .lib Linker
commands regarding pcap, but am still getting these errors...

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks

1>Linking...
1>LINK : warning LNK4199: /DELAYLOAD:wpcap.dll ignored; no imports found
from wpcap.dll
1>LINK : warning LNK4199: /DELAYLOAD:iphlpapi.dll ignored; no imports found
from iphlpapi.dll
1>nsock.lib(nsock_iod.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
_pcap_close referenced in function _nsi_delete
<snip>
1>nsock.lib(nsock_pcap.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
_pcap_next_ex referenced in function "int __cdecl do_actual_pcap_read(struct
msevent *)" (?do_actual_pcap_read@@YAHPAUmsevent@@@Z)
1>.\Debug\ncat.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 11 unresolved externals

I was unable to compile Ncat on Windows, but not because of these
errors (in fact, I never ran into them).  I've attached a patch
against your branch which contains the changes I made to get it
working (like compiling Nbase and Nsock).

This was mostly trial-and-error, so I'm sure it can be improved, but
it's a starting point.

On top of the changes in the patch, I needed to copy Nmap's
mswin32/lib to Ncat's mswin32 directory, because it wasn't there when
I checked it out.

I don't think I've forgotten anything, but if you have any questions
about what I did, feel free to ask.

And here's the proof:

C:\nmap-svn\ncat>mswin32\Debug\ncat
Ncat: You must specify a host to connect to.
Ncat: Try `--help' or man(1) ncat for more information, usage options and help.

Thanks,
Kris Katterjohn