Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] WHOIS - Now with Queuing and Cached Results.

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 18:54:03 -0700

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 03:51:03AM +0100, jah wrote:
On 09/04/2008 02:32, majek04 wrote:
On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 3:54 AM, jah <jah () zadkiel plus com> wrote:

nmap.sleep() sounds like a good idea to me.  Until then, I've used
Marek's pcap hack for whois.nse to enforce a strict queue for each whois
service.  This enables caching of results and means that a) for a given
net-range only one query per whois service is required for any targets
within that range and b) a given whois service will have only one query
outstanding at any time - queries to different whois services can still
happen concurrently.
Once a record has been found for a target, any further targets within
that range will point to the same result, rather than print it again.

Hi Jah.  Patrick has recently added mutex support to his branch in
order to support this sort of feature:

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2008/q2/0620.html

The feature is documented here:

http://nmap.org/book/nse-api.html#nse-mutex

And is available in his branch in svn://svn.insecure.org/nmap-exp/patrick

Maybe you could try implementing whois.nse with this new feature?  It
seems much cleaner than the pcap hack (or even than a sleep function
would be).

Cheers,
-F