Nmap Development mailing list archives

Desktop file for Zenmap?

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 14:34:08 -0700

I noticed a patch on the Debian bug tracker which provides .desktop
files for Zenmap.  It includes one for normal execution, and one which
runs Zenmap as root (though it uses some sort of su-to-root command
which may be Debian specific).  You can find the bug report and the
followup patch here:

So the questions are:

o Does anyone know how what OS distributions are likely to benefit
  from these .desktop files?  Do the vast majority of current Linux
  distributions support them?  Is the main benefit to having such
  files that Zenmap would appear on the Application menu, and maybe as
  a desktop icon?

o Should the Nmap installer include a Zenmap .desktop file on UNIX systems?

o If so, what should we do about running as root?  Make two icons, as
  in this example?

o What do people think of the .desktop files That David posted in the
  bug tracker?  Any changes we should make?

Cheers,
Fyodor