Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [RFC] NSE Re-categorization

From: Tom Sellers <nmap () fadedcode net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 06:30:05 -0500

Kris Katterjohn wrote:

jah wrote:
I initially thought that the "discovery" category should be dropped.
Is there
an NSE script which isn't really discovering something?  But Brandon
pointed
out that it could just be renamed, and that the name could convey
something
along the lines of "extra information".  I can't really think of a
good name
for it, however.
Perhaps "Informational"?

That, too, seems a bit to broad and (for lack of a better word) obvious for
me.  All NSE scripts are "informational" and are "discovering" something.

What about a labels like Advanced, Enhanced, Complex or Expanded to indicate
that they are still discovery in nature but tasked with handling situations
where heavy lifting is required?

Tom