Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap NSE: Bad Behaviour

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 00:31:51 -0500

Brandon Enright wrote:
On Fri, 30 May 2008 04:02:11 +0100 or thereabouts jah
<jah () zadkiel plus com> wrote:
...snip...
There's always one that spoils it for the many, huh.  Sorry about
that.

May I suggest that the HTTP library user-agent be changed to:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.14)
Gecko/20080404 Firefox/2.0.0.14

In the meantime, I've uninstalled Nmap from my computer and I'm
contacting its author for assistance.

jah

That's too bad.  I'd like to suggest though that we /not/ just hijack
the Firefox user agent.  Instead, this is probably a perfect place for
us to make use of --script-args to provide an optional user agent
override.

Something like:

--script-args http-user-agent="whatever you want"

I'll hack this up in all my copious free time unless someone has a good
nay or alternative.

What about adding a function to the HTTP library to return a random user
agent?  There can be a table of, say, 8-10 user agents ranging from IE to
Firefox to Opera and with different OS's in the information.  And maybe a
generic name can be passed to the function to grab a specific browser's
user-agent data, like http.get_user_agent("Firefox") (although maybe that's
going overboard).

Then the HTTP library can use it, and anybody else using HTTP, but not the
library, can get it too.

Of course the --script-args option can still be used for extra flexibility.

Brandon

Thanks,
Kris Katterjohn