Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Is -PB meant to take an argument?

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 11:19:09 -0700

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 09:55:38AM -0600, David Fifield wrote:

Is the -PB option (default ping) supposed to take an argument? It does,
and has since 2005-04-11 or earlier, according to Subversion. The
argument is taken to be the list of ports to send ACK probes to, so
      nmap -PB75 target
sends an ICMP echo and ACK to port 75.

Yes, it is supposed to have an optional argument for the port numbers
as you mention.  This behavior is like -PA, -PS, etc.

If it's supposed to take an argument, I can't find it anywhere (and -PB
isn't documented in the reference guide).

It is not documented because it is a deprecated feature.  It was
useful when you couldn't specify multiple host discovery option
arguments.  Now you might as well just specify "-PE -PA[ports".

We can probably get rid of -PB if we find a need to.

Cheers,
-F