Nmap Development mailing list archives

Silent Installation?

From: "Rob Nicholls" <robert () everythingeverything co uk>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 15:46:22 +0100 (BST)

I've just noticed that the Nmap installer doesn't appear to support the
/silent option anymore (at least not when I tried it on XP and Vista) Or
am I doing something wrong? When I run:

nmap-4.62-setup.exe /silent

I see a big GUI (same for 4.50, which I just tested). Fyodor previously
mentioned in an email that calling Nmap with the /silent option "also
calls the /silent option on our own Winpcap installer" but looking at the
following code in Nmap.nsi:

Section "WinPcap 4.02" SecWinPcap
  File ..\winpcap\winpcap-nmap-4.02.exe
  Exec '"$INSTDIR\winpcap-nmap-4.02.exe"'
  Delete "$INSTDIR\winpcap-nmap-4.02.exe"
SectionEnd

it looks to me like it's just calling the setup file, and doesn't pass any
arguments to make it silent!

Can anyone confirm that we can still install Nmap (and WinPcap) silently?
If we can't (perhaps we haven't been able to since we switched to the
Modern UI?), I'd prefer to see us use the official WinPcap installer (even
though I've already managed to make it use sc.exe to register the service
on non-2000 x86 hosts).

Rob