Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Custom information in output xml files

From: Diman Todorov <diman.todorov () univie ac at>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 20:02:44 +0200

On Apr 18, 2008, at 12:12 PM, Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman wrote:

Extending Tomas' idea a little bit more, I gather an "NML Output
Templating" or a general Templating
system for each output mode would be lovely, yet probably over-
complicated... maybe just a "custom
output mode" that could read a template.tpl file, and write the
output for each host based on that
template...?

actually this is exactly the reason why Nmap supports XML output.
Using XML style sheets you can merge the information from the output
XML into any template system you want to use (think XSL).

Or to come back to Tomas' problem, I think it is a more elegant
solution to integrate Nmap's XML output with other namespaces than
extending Nmap's own XML vocabulary. There already exist several quasi
standards to deal with projects (e.g. DOAP [1]) which are probably
more suitable for practical use than anything the Nmap community could
cook up in a pinch.

just my 2 cents

cheers,
Diman