Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft SQL Server fingerprints for SQL 2000 and 2005

From: Tom Sellers <nmap () fadedcode net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 05:34:01 -0600

Thomas Buchanan wrote:

Tom,

Thanks for the excellent information.  I've done a little testing on SQL
Server in the past, and never knew about this.

If it would be more efficient, the major version match lines
can be added and I will look into creating a lua script that
will query the port, extract the version and generate detailed
information.

I've actually written a NSE script that targets Microsoft SQL server,
and that's included in nmap-4.50 and newer (MSSQLm.nse).  I'd be happy
to take the information you provided and try and work it into that
script.  I think it would be an excellent addition, as the current
script relies on UDP probes to extract information, which as you
indicated are not accurate for newer releases of SQL 2000.  It'll
probably be a few days before I have much time to work on it, but I
wanted to go ahead and make the offer.

Thanks again,

Thomas

That would be great!  It makes sense to me to have it all in one
script.  If I did it I would pretty much be learning lua as I go.  If
you wrote the script it would likely result in a much better script
and much sooner.  ;)

Let me know if there is anything I can do to assist with this process.

Thanks much,

Tom Sellers