Nmap Development mailing list archives

March 2008 OS integration highlights

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 23:09:36 -0600

Hi everyone,

I just finished integrating about 1500 OS fingerprint submissions. As
usual, most of them were pretty mundane: switches, routers, printers,
and common operating systems like Windows XP and Linux 2.6. Here are
some of the interesting and unusual things that are now in the OS
database.

Hioki MEMORY HiCORDER 8855 digital oscilloscope
        How cool is that? A network-connected oscilloscope.

Nintendo DS game console
        The person who submitted this had the DSFTP FTP server running
        on it. I remember I tried to scan someone's DS but couldn't find
        any open ports. We could do with some corroborating submissions
        for this one.

Netgear GS108T switch (eCos)
        This switch runs the free eCos operating system off the shelf.
        eCos was developed by Cygnus, then Red Hat, and the copyright is
        now held by the FSF.

Minix 2.0.4
        We got two submission for this, but what I liked about one of
        them was that it wasn't running on VMWare, i.e., Minix is
        actually running on a PC somewhere.

Digi NET+OS 7
        This is an embedded networking-oriented operating system.

Green Hills RTOS
        Another embedded operating system.

Microsoft Windows Server 2008 SP1
        The initial release of Windows 2008 is labelled "Service Pack 1".
        There's an explanation at

http://blogs.msdn.com/iainmcdonald/archive/2008/02/15/windows-server-2008-is-called-sp1-adventures-in-doing-things-right.aspx
        I think they're just trying to entice all those people who
        always wait for the first service pack.

Sequent DYNIX (BSD-based Unix)
        Just like it sounds, this is a BSD-based Unix that I guess is
        not around anymore.

Harmonic MaxLink HLT 7806R optical network transmitter
        This is a device for networking using 1550 nm-wavelength light.

Also we now have some signatures for Linux 2.6.24, Mac OS X 10.5.2, and
Windows XP SP3.

David Fifield