Nmap Development mailing list archives

Old traceroute error within latest nmap

From: Sebastián García <sgarcia () citefa gov ar>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 01:10:25 -0200

Hi list, I accidentally found we still have an old traceroute error into the latest svn nmap.

They discuss it on September 2007, and back then noctech say:
whenever I run the command:

nmap -v -F -O -traceroute

with multiple destinations on my local network (haven't tried remote
sites) I get the following error:

nmap: traceroute.cc:939: void
Traceroute::addConsolidationMessage(NmapOutputTable*, short unsigned
int, short unsigned int): Assertion `ref_ipaddr.s_addr' failed.

And Eddie Bell quickly fix it, saying:
Hopefully fixed now. The bug was introduced in a recent change to the
reference trace consolidation messages and was caused by timed out
hops at the start of the reference trace

It would be great if you could test the latest svn version and see if
it fixes the error

Perhaps the patch that Eddie developed wasn't fully merged into the mainstream nmap trunk. I couldn't see it.

I should have checked it before, but under svn revision 6671 (6-1-2008) I have still the same problem (note that the
command is Eddie suggestion)

nmap -v -F -O -traceroute --packet-trace -v xx.xx.xx.64/27
nmap: traceroute.cc:944: void Traceroute::addConsolidationMessage(NmapOutputTable*, short unsigned int, short unsigned
int): Assertion `ref_ipaddr.s_addr' failed.
Abort

I tried these versions available from insecure.org and they have the problem:
- 4.21ALPHA4
- 4.22SOC8
- 4.23RC3
- 4.50
- 4.52 (svn revision 6671)

The issue is that I couldn't find an nmap version without this problem!

A tiny analysis of the problem shows me that if you use -d1 or -d2 or -d3, the problem disappears! Strange isn't it?

I'm attaching the output from Eddie's suggested command using his latest svn version. (sorry but the inconvenience but
I obfuscated every IP, if this is a problem to trace down the bug tell me so) It's "     complete-output-4.52-fails.txt"
It's 2MB because of the --packet-trace

I'm also attaching an nmap output with -d2, so you can see it doesn't fail. It's "complete-output-4.52-d2-not-fail.txt"

cheers!

--
Ing. Sebastián García
SI6 - DINFO - CITEFA