Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Feature Request: --top-ports option for -PS when performing host discovery

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 19:19:53 -0800

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 02:29:41AM +0000, Brandon Enright wrote:
Anyways, I'm very open to ideas on how tackle this important problem.

How about:

"Dear Nmap-Hackers list.  We are looking for a very large data-set of
popular ports.  If you have a very large network which you think
decently represents other similar organizations please run this Nmap
command....."

I'm sure there are people at a dozen different big companies, schools,
and ISPs that have data or can get data.

[...]
Lets make the top ports happen.

I agree and would love to have top ports data!  It is a terrible shame
that we have the top-port infrastructure, but not the data.  Sadly, I
haven't found time to coordinate this project yet due to all the other
Nmap development going on.  But if other people want to take the
reigns, that would be great.  I'd be happy to apply a reasonable data
set into SVN.  This list has more than 1,600 members, many of whom run
huge networks and thus could potentially contribute data.

Cheers,
-F