Nmap Development mailing list archives

PortBunny - FX and Fabs at 24C3

From: kx <kxmail () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 16:19:39 +0100

From: http://seclog.de/2008/01/03/review-24c3/

"Port Scanning Improved - FX, Fabs
Fabs presented Port Bunny, a TCP-SYN port scanner with high speed. It
will be released soon and seclog is currently preparing a benchmark of
Nmap, Unicornscan and Port Bunny. You will hear of Port Bunny in the
future. It is definitely a handy tool for penetration testers."

Links to the videos can be found here:
http://events.ccc.de/congress/2007/Conference_Recordings

Slides are here:
http://www.recurity-labs.com/portbunny/24c3PortBunnySlides.pdf

Effectively, they find responsive hosts to acts as triggers for
detecting packet loss. Dan Kaminsky was talking about this stuff at
least as far back as 2005 with Scanrand, but I am sure earlier. He
called them canaries as opposed to triggers.

I watched the video, and I don't know what version of nmap they were
testing against. I am not sure if they looked at David's code:
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2007/q3/0433.html

Anyhow, thought people might be interested.

-kx