Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: How to contribute

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:27:06 -0600

Ram Raju wrote:
Hello All,

I'm a student from school, working on networking
course. As a part of my course work I get a chance to
work on any network hacking tool.
I've gone through the Nmap briefly and found it very
interesting to get hands on experience with and also
for contributing something to it.

I'm looking forward to join the developer community
and work on actively.
I was searching for the to-do list (or) the features
that are planned to include in future versions but
haven't been assigned to anyone, etc.
It will be great help for me if somebody could point
to the tasks that could be worked for future releases.

That's great!  I've been contributing to Nmap for 2 years this month and
it's been a great experience.

I don't know if you've done it yet or not, but actually joining
nmap-dev[1] is a good start as you'll get all kinds of development posts
and bug reports (which you can look into and try to fix).

When I started, I just started slowly looking over the codebase and
trying to learn how everything fit together.  For a long time I just
sent little patches for little fixes and things I noticed while going
over it.

If you know any Python, working on Zenmap (the GUI) is a good place to
start.

Reading the nmap-dev archives at seclists.org for past bug reports or
patches that haven't been committed is a good thing.  You can test
patches and then send your comments, good or bad.

You can check-out Nmap's source using Subversion[2], or you can download
one of the source tarballs[3].

Thank you, looking forward.

Best,
Raju.