Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: scan-delay enforces serialization - why?

From: Martin Mačok <martin.macok () underground cz>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:06:43 +0100

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 11:37:24AM -0800, Fyodor wrote:

A different desire is to tell Nmap to send fixed rate packets to
_speed things up_.

Yes, that was the case, sort of. My colleague needed to set minimal
scan delay (to evade IDS/IPS) while allowing parallel probing of ports
(latency was higher than the minimal delay he needed to enforce). By
using --scan-delay he was forced into one outstanding probe at a time
which made searching for "hidden" ports very slow.

In that case, Nmap would basically ignore all of its timing controls
and send at the given fixed rate.

No need for to drop it all, just allowing parallelism when
--scan-delay is used would be enough for us.

This simple method is how port scanners such as ScanRand and
UnicornScan work, and I'd like Nmap to have such an option too.

OK, I have nothing against having this "hardcore" option too ;-)

Maybe there should be options like --initial-scan-delay,
--min-scan-delay and --fixed-scan-delay to avoid confusion? Also
"probe" may be a better buzzword instead of "scan" in this option
because it is supposed to be a delay between the "probes" and not
between the "scans".

Thanks,
Martin