Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: New NSE Features

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 00:40:14 -0800

On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 07:57:37PM -0800, doug () hcsw org wrote:

I just checked two patches to NSE into SVN. The first should add
--host-timeout support for NSE scans. Here is an example:

Wonderful, that looks great!  So does the run-time interaction
feature.  As for adding additional information related to the specific
running module (e.g. NSE, version detection, etc.), I don't think we
should exceed one extra line (unless maybe debug level is high).  It
also should be information which is easily available to Nmap at the
time (doesn't require a bunch of new code).  And the information it
presents should be useful and reasonably comprehensible to your
average Nmap user (who isn't familiar with most internal Nmap state
variables).  Messages which only appear with -d don't have to be as
comprehensible to the average user, but that is always a good goal
where possible.

Cheers,
-F