Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap ends prematurely with a segfault

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 14:23:54 -0600

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 03:15:21PM -0500, DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
I run nmap like this:
sudo nmap -v -sSUV -O -pT:-,U:[1-65535] --traceroute --reason
--script=discovery,safe,backdoor,vulnerability,malware --script-trace
-d6 xxx.yyy.zzz.190,153,193,89

and after some time, it eventually ends with a segfault.

Seriously, it ends with a simple "Segmentation fault" and nothing else
to help explain from where the segfault came.

Hi Jason,

I've been investigating a segfault that I found with --script=discovery.
Do these two commands segfault for you too?

nmap --script=ripeQuery.nse localhost
nmap -6 whois.ripe.net

It seems to be related to nsock and IPv6.

David Fifield