Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Zenmap from tarball on Mac OS X?

From: Jay Chandler <lists () sequestered net>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 04:23:13 -0800

Fyodor wrote:
On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 08:30:47AM -0500, Daniel Johnson wrote:

Can someone here who has Zenmap working on their Mac send to this list
step-by-step instructions for installing and running Nmap and Zenmap,
starting with a tarball such as nmap-4.49RC4.tar.bz2?  I would like to
link to and/or summarize the instructions on the Nmap download page
and install guide.  Many Mac users will thank you.

I don't really have manual build instructions since I use Fink, but I
will have a Fink nmap package ready to go when 4.50 is released an I
intend to keep it up to date. Note that the latest version will
require using Fink's unstable tree, which isn't a big deal since
unstable is usually more stable than stable. :) Its page will be here:
http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/nmap

Thanks for your notes!

If Fink/Makports/Opendarwin/whatever is the easiest way to get Zenmap
working, it is OK if the manual instructions include installing those.
But people might need to know exactly what dependencies they need to
install on Fink to get it to work.  And maybe there are other
questions they need to answer properly.  Or can they just install Fink
with the defaults and then download the Nmap/Zenmap tarball and run
them?

For what it's worth, it doesn't work within MacPorts at this time.
Believe me, I've tried...

--
Jay Chandler / KB1JWQ
Living Legend / Systems Exorcist