Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap Fingerprint Submitter - Broken?

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 19:25:11 -0800

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 09:13:23PM -0000, Rob Nicholls wrote:

I see the fingerprint because I normally run nmap with -vv (NB: the osdetect
page David mentioned says "Unless you force them by enabling debugging (-d),
G=N fingerprints aren't printed by Nmap." which is incorrect as I'm not
using -d);

I've updated the page in SVN to note that -vv does it too.

try and paste it into the online submitter. Perhaps the JavaScript could
read the first line to make sure it says "%G=Y" and display a different
warning instead? That might stop bad submissions from anyone still using

Good idea.  Doug has implemented this and it is now live on the site.

Also, http://insecure.org/nmap/man/man-output.html says for verbosity "Using
it more than twice has no effect." but that can't be right? Using -vvv will
add the "DNS resolution of 1 IPs took 0.14s. Mode: Async [#: 3, OK: 0, NX:

Good point, I've changed the document in SVN (not reflected on web site yet).

Cheers,
-F