Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE Script] MySQL Server Information

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 15:09:18 -0800

On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 06:49:08PM -0000, Rob Nicholls wrote:
The "sa" account (often setup with a blank password because the setup file
for 2000 doesn't make much effort to stop you) is a default account used by
MS SQL, not MySQL, so any checks would go into an MSSQL script (Thomas has
already written a "Microsoft SQL Server information gathering script"). A
check for a blank password might be okay (and possibly the password "sa"?),

Thanks for the info.

but nmap probably isn't the best place to test for passwords, and I suspect
people would like to avoid accidentally locking out accounts or potentially
cause a denial of service (for any service).

We have categories to deal with this issue.  So a DB password checking
script would be good to have, but probably shouldn't be in the "safe"
category.

Cheers,
-F