Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Zenmap load error on OS X

From: Neil <nnkx00 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 02:41:38 -0500

On 12/14/07, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 05:54:52PM -0500, Neil wrote:
After doing a standard ./configure; make; sudo make install , Zenmap
gives
an error when trying to run:
Neil@blackfire:/usr/local/bin $ zenmap
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/zenmap", line 31, in <module>
    from zenmapCore.Name import APP_NAME, APP_DISPLAY_NAME
ImportError: No module named zenmapCore.Name

Somehow Python can't find the zenmapCore package that was presumably
installed. Likely they got installed someplace weird on Mac OS X, but
the Zenmap installer is supposed to take that into account. Open
/usr/local/bin/zenmap in a text editor. Somewhere in the first 30 lines
there should be a line like

sys.path.append('/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages')

but with a different directory inside it. What does yours say? Does it
match where the packages were installed (find /usr -name zenmapCore)?

Neil@blackfire:/usr/local/bin $ grep "sys.path.append" zenmap
sys.path.append('/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages')

Neil@blackfire:/usr/local/bin $ find /usr -name zenmapCore
/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/zenmapCore

So they don't match.  Any idea why?

You will probably have more problems than this trying to run Zenmap on
the Mac. GTK+ and PyGTK are required, and from what I have heard, are
not easy to set up on a Mac. Some folks are working on sorting this out.

Eh, that's okay (with me; others probably want it).  I really would probably
prefer the terminal anyways.  I was just installing zenmap to see what all
the excitement was about.

--
Neil.