Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Enhanced Version of HTTPtrace.nse

From: Thomas Buchanan <tbuchanan () thecompassgrp net>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:07:20 -0600

Rob Nicholls wrote:
<snip>
I changed the portrule so it'll test any open tcp port that's detected by
nmap as "http" or "https" (obviously, a version scan needs to be performed
to identify unusual ports), as Kris' original script only tested 80 or
8080. It should also be obvious that the Windows client won't see "https",
they'll get "ssl", so the script won't run against secure HTTP servers for
Windows based nmap users. I haven't tested this script using nmap on a
Linux host (yet), but I'm hoping adding the rule to support https
shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure someone will let me know otherwise.

Rob,

I think it takes a little more than this to enable SSL support.  You have to
pass a different protocol ("ssl" instead of "tcp") to the socket:connect()
call for SSL connections.  See showHTMLTitle.nse for an example.  Also, you
may want to use the recently introduced nmap.have_ssl() to test whether Nmap
was compiled with SSL support.

Hope this helps,

Thomas