Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap XML output problem

From: "João Medeiros" <ignotus21 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 22:24:01 -0300

Hi friends,

    When I'm making some improvements in RadialNet/UmitMapper I see
that some attribute values in Nmap XML can't be correctly. This
happens because XML specification [0] for attributes don't permit
whitespaces when file is read. Below one example of the problem:

    <a attr="line 1
    line 2"/>

    When read by a XML parser attr value is normalized to "line 1 line
2". To solve this we can change the '\t', '\r' and '\n' characters by
'&#x9', '&#xd;' and '&#xa;', respectively. I think that this is only
necessary for output attribute of script and fingerprint of
osfingerprint.

[0] - http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816/#AVNormalize